Monday, July 16, 2012

My Sisters Negative Observation of Working Conditions, at an Assisted Care Facility

This past week, my sister had a job interview at a nursing home, for a kitchen staff job. But she soon got the impression that it wasn't worthwhile, and now has had second thoughts. Here's what she posted on her facebook newsfeed.
" I was trying to get work at Briar Hill Nursing Home in the kitchen,but the more I think about it the worse I feel about it.The head cook is interested in hiring me,even had me do the required drug test.The thing is she told me outright that she is hard to work for.Even while she was showing me around the nursing home,she asked me to wait by a table in the lobby while she reprimanded one of her employees.I didn't see anything the girl was doing wrong.Then I put on the application 7-7 I could possibly work.She told me I would have to work 6:30am-8:00pm.The nursing home is 30-45 minutes away.My life would be sleeping and working.I also have to be willing to work Sundays,which a Sunday once a month might not be too bad,but I sorta have a feeling it'd be more than once a month.I also think I'd have to work every Saturday.When will I have time to help my mom? She needs me.Yes,I need to earn money,but I'm going to have to find a job that works with my responsibilities here at home and more importantly with my relationship with God.Tonight I was literally in tears.The pay would be $8 an hour and every third weekend double pay an hour.We need the money,but to kiss any life away,possibly ruin my relationship with God,and neglect my family and their needs.No amount of money can make up for those losses."   I feel that the way such staff are treated constitutes hyperexploitation. The workers are degraded into what one might call wage slavery. And then, what if a person, such as potentionally my sister, were to end up getting fired, for whatever reason? Here in Ohio, an employer has the legal right to fire an employee for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all, as we are an "employ at will" state. And if she were to get dismissed, it would adversly impact her resume, as potentional employers tend to side with other employers, when it comes to disatisfaction with employee performance. So I feel that if would be food service industry workers are looking for a job, they should seek it at a fast food restaurant. Preferably Subway, as it's more personal, and democratic, when it comes to management system. You don't run into an assemblyline meal production. It's a shame though that those whom devote at least a part of their lifetime helping those whom need special assistance, are treated so despicably. I think that it would be good if such workers were to form a union, and if necessary , go on strike.                                                                              

No comments: