Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reflections on Graduation

Recently there was a graduation at the local state High School. So I thought I might give a few thoughts about graduation. I myself graduated years ago, from a correspondence school. So I didn't just graduate. But I appreciate all that students must go through, in order to graduate. Especially the Honor Society members. They really go the extra mile to merit there high esteem. But I also feel that all graduates are deserving of recognition. We all have unique attributes, and abilities. We should accept all persons equally as being important in there own way. The major thing to remember is to learn all that you can learn, the best you can, for knowledge is power. The one thing that I do not like about High School is the clique system. I feel that it is comparable to the class system, which charecterises bourgeois society. Being home educated I was able to avoid this exclusive situation. Which is one of the reasons why I encourage people to unschool themselves, and/or there children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling I am proud to have graduated from a distance learning program though, so that I could gain recognition for all that I learned. I was even given a school ring. Not many other homeschoolers ever get a class ring, or even an actual diploma for that matter. I also like that coincidently my school's colors, Penn Foster, is the same as the local state school, which are blue and white.

1 comment:

Clint said...

I'm happy I went to public schools, as opposed to private, and sometimes I wonder how I would have fared with home schooling. While I think I'd be further along intellectually, I feel like I'd lose out on a lot of social education. But that's just my personality.

Cool link on "Unschooling."