Sunday, June 8, 2008

Vile, Violent, education for death.

A few days ago, I was playing with my six year old cousin, Joey. He wanted to play with his pro wrestling action figures. Now I do not approve of the no holds barred standards of modern day professional wrestling. I feel that it is similar to the gladiatoral competitions, in ancient Rome. But what I experienced next was even more provocative. I was handed a white wrestler, and Joey likewise had one. He then took out a ninja figurine. He said that the two of us were going to attack the ninja. I asked why. He said that the ninja is evil. I asked what is so evil about him. He told me that the ninja wants to take over the world. And that besides, I wouldn't want to be the ninja, because the ninja isn't as powerful as the wrestlers. Later on it hit me. This was how Hitler and his Nazis were able to convince the German people to go along with the Holocaust. First they tell the people that the enemy(like the Jews) are evil. Then you tell them that the enemy is trying to take over you. Then finally they claim that, even if you still doubt that the supposed enemy is an evil threat to the nation, the enemy deserves to be defeated, because they are inferior untermenschen, while we are a master race of supermen. I can just imagine what it would have been like if television were to have existed in the 30's and 40's. In Nazi Germany, like our "Power Rangers", they may have had something called, "The Aryan Troopers". And they'd have them swoop down like knights in shining armor, to fight against caricatures of Jews, and/or other groups which the Fascist regime found to be undesirable. It works on adults too. As Hermann Goering said, "Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people don't want war. Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country whom determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." Oh, and if you're wondering what I did in response to Joey's similated battle. I used my wrestler to stop the fight, and help the ninja to escape. Because just like any good samurai knight, I believe in placing rectitude above obedience, in accordance with the chivalrous code of bushido.

No comments: