Saturday, May 31, 2008

KraftMaid Lays Off Over 400 Workers

http://www.starbeacon.com/archivesearch/local_story_152101310.html Recently KraftMaid, a cabinet factory, laid off some workers. The down turn in the economy has caused a ripple affect, partially caused by the subprime lending crisis. A few things in this article stands out to me. 1. The workforce is non-union. Therefore they have no representation, or contract protection. 2. The company is laying off workers in order to stay "competitive". As you probally know, if you've been reading my blog, I advocate private co-operative enterprise. Instead of trying to one up rival firms, I believe that industry should work together for the common good of the people. But in the mean time, labor should be organised into unions, as to gain the most favorable results. I wish the displaced workers the best, as they make this difficult transition in there lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. I find your blog very interesting. Recently, I have redecorated my kitchen. I bought completely new furniture. For a long time, I could not choose the cabinetry for a long time. I went from store to store and there was nothing to my taste and at the appropriate price. From this great site www.pissedconsumer.com I learned about Kraftmaid. I looked through the inventory of the company and I fell in love with it. The company offers a wide range of designs, free quotes shipping, built-in stylish and decorative kitchen cabinets, kitchen cabinet corner units with raising doors, etc.